Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Lo He Comes, Part III


Continuing with my philippic on my favorite Advent hymn, verse three:
Those dear tokens of his passion still his dazzling body bears,
cause of endless exultation to his ransomed worshippers;
with what rapture, with what rapture, with what rapture,
gaze we on those glorious scars.

The very best explanation I know of this strange image is found in one of my favorite novels, The River Why, by David James Duncan. Read it and get back to me! The tokens of his passion are the marks left on Jesus' body when he was crucified; nail holes in his hands, etc. They are proof of his boundless love for us; when we comprehend this, we are enraptured!

Yea, amen! let all adore thee, high on thine eternal throne;
Savior, take the power and glory;
claim the kingdom for thine own;
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Thou shalt reign and thou alone.
This is more Joy to the World style Christmas stuff. It speaks of Christ's second coming, when all things will be set right. I'm sorry that we Christians often misrepresent this to the world; it seems when we talk about God's righteousness and glory too often it's some kind of who's messing up my America? shtick. In truth, that day will be an end to tears and sorrow, an end to injustice and misery, and the completion of love and joy. It makes me a little giddy; as I, too, long to adore him, which is the same as seeing him in glory.

Did I mention that I love to sing this hymn, loudly? In church, and at random times throughout the year. I may not be much of a musician but I love to sing, and love a song that I can really shout out!

Allrighty then! If everything I've said in these funny hymn-posts makes you a little or a lot uncomfortable, you will be glad to know
we are now returning to our regularly scheduled programming
here at the Full Cup. I just get carried away. Thanks for listening. We would love to hear what you of similar and differing beliefs love and get out of this time of year.

No comments: