Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thrifty homemaking in The Tale of Two Cities

I used to just be a plain, dorky kind of nerd. Bookish, opinionated, rumpled. I liked to think that I became a alternative, articulate, intentional kind of nerd. Now I am additionally a homemaker. I have mixed feelings about being this. Homemaking may not help my image. I associate the word with frumpiness, doting, and provinciality. But there is also a wonderful alchemy in homemaking.
May I share some unexpected gems from one of our recent reads, Dicken's The Tale of Two Cities?
On the enigmatic Miss Pross, that vociferously loyal maid of our main characters: "From these decayed sons and daughters of Gaul [her forebearers], she had acquired such wonderful arts, that the woman and girl who formed the staff of domestics regarded her as quite a Sorceress, or Cinderella's Godmother; who would send out for a fowl, a rabbit, a vegetable or two from the garden, and change them into anything she pleased."

On Lucie, the good one: "Nor, how the lightest echo of their united home, directed by herself with such a wise and elegant thrift that it was more abundant than any waste, was music to her."

No comments: