Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hybrid Schmybrid

I found this ad on the back of a 1981 Mother Earth News. Having two old diesels myself, the big print caught my eye. The small print, however, illustrates why I'm not all that excited about new advances in fuel economy. This 1982 Datsun pickup got 33mpg city and 39mpg highway. By way of comparison, none of the three 2007 hybrid trucks got over 21mpg (according to fueleconomy.gov). Granted, the Datsun was a much smaller truck, but I think my point still stands. A small diesel engine can do just about as well as a hybrid and has no the big nasty (hard to dispose of) battery. I guess it's about time I fix my 82 diesel Audi.

1 comment:

Loribelle said...

Paul,

Thank you for mentioning us on your Web site. We’re glad you enjoy Mother Earth News.

Great blog! Loved the post on our 1982 ad.

Laura Evers
Mother Earth News

For great Mother Earth News articles, check out our brand new Web site!
www.motherearthnews.com