Saturday, June 28, 2008

To Oma, in Haiti

Mom,
I'm so sorry we've been so hard to get a hold of, our internet provider had an antennae ripped off by a certain baby we know, and we don't have service at our house right now! But, dearest Oma, we did get your messages, have passed them on, and are praying for you!
I don't remember what had happened to us when you left, but we have had a hard two weeks, and have especially missed you and Mary.
We love you dearly and are lifting you up to our loving Father. We are praying for dealing with the heat, for strength, energy, and safety, as well as relationships, and for fruitful work. We love love love you, and can't wait to have you back here with us. We'll talk lots more so soon. Maybe I'll even post again! Ezra prays for you at every meal.
love love love love, Libby

for anyone else who wants details about this great project in Haiti, I'm reprinting my mother's comments here from the comments section, written just the other day from rural Haiti, so you can join us in holding her in the light, especially on the journey through Port au Prince and home.
She is training Haitian teachers in a tiny village, which you can read a little more about through our friend Nic's blog, here:
http://lougoucorner.blogspot.com/
Hello Libby and Paul and everyone, I finally found a way to get to you
through email. I sent you a message last night by commenting on your
blog, but you must not have checked it. You can reply to me at this
address. I would really enjoy hearing from you. Would you please call Dad
and forward this message on to Robert, Mary, and the Ringdals.
I am doing very well. I had a bad stomach ache for a while yesterday
morning and was really worried, but fortunately, it was a day off and I
could hang out and rest for the morning. By the time we had to leave
for Lougou to attend the graduation I was all better. The graduation
was very long; we were there from noon to about 8:00, with nothing to do
but watch and hang out. You know how I am at hanging out.
Today, we went to Lougou for only 3 1/2 hours of teaching. It was a
light day because everyone was tired from the graduation. The next three
days will be long; 9-4. The teacher seminar is going very well. They
really like the stuff we are showing them. The actual teaching isn't
hard, but the heat, rough roads, and lack of modern comforts is wearing.
I am tired at the end of the day and am sleeping well. Madeleine is
a very good cook and I am eating better than I ever do at home.
Haiti here in the south is very beautiful. It is very green and rural.
There are lots of patches of forest that might be something like the
original rain forest that used to cover Haiti. There are really nice
looking cows, goats, sheep, donkeys, horses, pigs, and chickens all over
the place. The people are nice and not sophisticated. They don't beg
or run after us shouting "blanc". They don't treat us with any
special respect. We're just some visitors. At the graduation, lots of
people asked me to take their photo. Then they liked looking at it on the
camera. I had lots of photo-ops that way.
Lougou is very remote. It is literally at the end of the road. The
Lougou people are looked down on by everybody else around. They used to
not have anything at all, barely clinging to life. Now they have a
school and it is THE best school around. I'm so happy to be here. Keep
praying for our health and safety. There is no violence here now, but we
could very easily fall off the mountain when we are driving to and
from Lougou. Nic is a very good driver and he is very careful, so don't
worry. Just pray.
Doug, read this message to house group. I love you all and am beginning
to miss you. It won't be long and I'll be home. Today is more than
halfway through the visit. Kiss and hug those grandkids for me. Tell
them Oma will be home pretty soon and she loves them.
Love, Myra, Mom, Oma

No comments: