Friday, July 6, 2007

A Tisket, a Tasket, a Little Blickey Basket!


This little basket is called a blickey. I adapted it from an idea in the excellent wild foods guide Forager's Harvest by Sam Thayer. This book is well-written, very practical, and available from the Saint Paul public library. As soon as I return it, that is. The blickey is just a little container you strap to your waist for berry-picking. It's great:
-two hands free for picking
-no accidentally kicking over my berries
-don't have to keep track of where the berries are
-less squishing them in my hand as I pick
-great for kids (pictured here on Gibbie)
This blickey is wicker, made from leftover basket supplies I got from my mom. A very simple little basket, I designed it to not spill and fit well against the body. It has little loops in back to run a string through for tying on, or one could run a belt through it. We've been using ours daily for raspberries, which are finally ripe! Those aren't raspberries in the picture, however. More on the joys of mullberries later.

If anyone wants their own blickey, talk to me. I would gladly give a blickey lesson or make one for you!
Enjoy this beautiful day!

No comments: