Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chain Care


In honor of our recent snow, I'll share how my bicycle chain has made it through the winter. Currently I am riding a bike with multiple gears which tend to get messed-up when covered with slush, dirt, and salt. The two products pictured above may not be the best for the job, but they've gotten me through snow and sub-zero cold. Break cleaner can clean most things mechanical just by spraying it on. I used this to get all of the crud off of my chain and gears. Silicone spray, like WD-40, is both a lube and a water-repellent. The advantage of silicone is that it doesn't tend to attract dirt like WD-40. Clean with one then lube with the other. That's it.

There are better things to use for these purposes, but the winter usefulness of these is that they're spray-on quick. How much time do you want to spend working on your bike outside at zero degrees Fahrenheit?

No comments: