Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mask making

Our dear family friend Abbie has moved to St. Paul for school and we got to see her this weekend. Well, Libby and the kids did. It just happened that I had a bit of art know-how with which to provide an assist for a class project she was working on. This is Abbie waiting for the mask we made to dry. It's plaster and will provide a nice likeness and a base for her to work more on. I can't wait to see what she does with it!

Having a direct plaster mask made on one's face is a rather surreal experience, which I must say Abbie handled serenely. Until it's off, one can't talk, smile, or even twitch! We discussed how seldom we are truly quiet around others, and how much we depend on words.

I've noticed I talk almost incessantly and have been thinking lately about keeping my tongue more tightly reined.
She's into theatre. Can you tell? A thousand welcomes, Abbie! We're so glad you're here!

No comments: